Martin 150th Anniversary One of a Kind D-41 Guitar
Please Call to Inquire
Martin D-41 Custom "Time Capsule" Guitar (1983)-SOLD
Everyone loves a guitar with a great story behind it!
We obtained this guitar from the original owner. This gentleman and his business partner, back in the day, supplied spruce tops to the C.F.Martin Guitar company.
They kiln dried, cut to spec, and graded sitka spruce tops to supply Martin Guitars in the 1980s and 1990s.
Back then, Sitka tree loggers who had a legal permit would select tree's that were not on a hill. Those trees had too much uneven tension on the wood grain and were not good for tone wood. They also had to often drop the tree where there was no road access. Helicopter transport was the answer. The minimum tree diameter was about 6ft plus, to get quality Sitka Spruce tone wood.
This guitar and another for his partner were ordered & crafted in exchange for some of these sitka spruce tops. Because of their relationship with Martin Guitars, there was some networking on the wood selection, because the materials used are absolutely top grade.
The Indian rosewood is straight grain, quarter-sawn. The very best for optimum tone.
The spruce top is extremely fine. By counting the grain lines in the top, the owner determined it was 170 years old at the time of its harvest.
This guitar was used very little as a player by the owner, it is a true "Time Capsule" guitar!
- From the Original owner.
- Custom made rosewood D-41 for business clients in the guitar tops industry. Interior gold plated label indicating this.
- Ebony fretboard with "41 style" abalone inlays
- Prior to arriving at Guitar Gallery this guitar underwent a Certified Martin Luthier full inspection and upgrade. It received a fret dress, bridge re-glue, bone nut & bone saddle. Work performed by Rick Reiss of Advanced Guitar.
- The mahogany neck is in excellent factory condition.
- All bindings, fret board, frets, scalloped bracing are in great condition from original Martin factory construction in 1983. The finish is beautiful.
- Abalone logo inlay on the headstock
- Gold Martin branded tuning machines
- Abalone rosette
- Abalone top purfling
- Black pickguard
- "45" style back strip
- Ivoroid headstock, fretboard & body binding
- Ivoroid heel cap and end graft
- All original parts with guitar
- SN: 441714
- Martin original style 640 black hard case included.
- The tone is mighty impressive! Warm and symphonic, and we dare say this guitar has not yet "opened up." The bass rumbles against your belly when you play this great guitar!