Martin D-45 Custom Guitar (1987)
Please Call to Inquire
Martin D-45 Custom Guitar (1987)-SOLD
Everyone loves a guitar with a great story behind it!
We originally obtained this guitar from the original owner. This gentleman and his business partner, back in the day, supplied spruce tops to the C.F.Martin Guitar company.
They kiln dried, cut to spec, and graded sitka spruce tops to supply Martin Guitars in the 1980s and 1990s.
This guitar and another for his partner were custom ordered & crafted in exchange for 216 sitka spruce tops. Because of their relationship with Martin Guitars, there was some networking on the wood selection, because the materials used are absolutely top grade.
The Brazilian rosewood is the sought after, straight grain, quarter-sawn type. The very best for optimum tone. Rivals the quality of wood in pre-war Martins.
The spruce top is the most beautiful sitka spruce top we have ever seen. It was called "Gold Flake" Sitka.
- Custom made Brazilian rosewood D-45 for business clients in the guitar tops industry, not a D-45 series line.
- Ebony fretboard with Highly figured abalone inlays
- A few years back, this guitar underwent a Certified Martin Luthier full inspection and upgrade. On 9/25/19 it received new bone nut, bone saddle, and bone abalone pins. Work performed by Rick Reiss of Advanced Guitar.
- The mahogany neck is in excellent factory condition.
- All bindings, fret board, frets, scalloped bracing are in perfect condition from original Martin factory construction in 1987. The finish is beautiful.
- The abalone logo inlay on the headstock just pops
- Gold Martin branded tuning machines
- "45" style adornments with abalone rosette, top trim, back trim, side trim and fretboard perimeter
- Abalone heel graft purfling
- Abalone end graft purfling
- "45" style back strip
- All original parts with guitar
- Martin original style 640 black hard case included.
- Also included is a newer Calton flight case that a guitar of this merit deserves
- The tone is impressive! Warm and symphonic, and we dare say this guitar has not yet "opened up."
- One more thing: The original owner's son who was also in the business decided to count the ring growths in the Sitka Spruce top. From the center of the Saddle out to the widest edge he counted (conservatively) 275 years of growth.
- SN: 471753